Tuesday 4 September 2012

Give television A Chance

Why is it that as soon as you say "I saw it on a tv programme" you sound less intelligent than when you say "I read it in a book"? No matter what that tv programme was, it will never be as good as reading that book.
In biology a while ago, I was puzzled by something the teacher said and asked him a question. He then asked where I got that information and I said "I saw it on a tv programme" which he continued to reply with "well there you go, tv doesn't always tell the truth does it". Not knowing what programme I had been watching, what it was about, anything, he was quick to judge. This so called lying programme was a documentary on the body and the way it works on Discovery Science. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that every single fact in that programme will have been wrong, especially if you can learn the same thing in a classroom.
If I had answered with "oh, I read it in a book" my teacher would have been much more accepting of the question I had presented him with. The book could have been a children's book and he wouldn't have cared.
Anyway, what I am trying to convey is that there is a stereotype about tv that it's a lazy way out, and don't get me wrong, I love books, but sometimes things are better to learn on tv:

1. There is always someone explaining everything to you

2. Images help to reinforce the knowledge acquired, especially videos

3. Television programmes are designed specifically to help you learn and understand, much like books, but can appeal to the person that does not have enough time to read books yet wants to learn.

I could continue but then this post would become very boring very quickly.

Image from weheartit.com

What do you think? Do you agree?

Nat x

No comments:

Post a Comment